Monday, November 21, 2011

Visiting Children at Emmaus Refugee Program

After a long day at schools and visiting with Mayor Jennings, we made one last stop before dinner: Emmaus United Methodist Church. In the back building of this church was an entire school and play center where I made a surprise visit to meet refugee children from across Albany. Emmaus has an exceptional Refugee and Immigration Support Services program.


When I arrived, little ones were busy coloring holiday decorations as cartoons danced across a nearby TV and older students carefully sketched a still-life setup on their art pads. Piles of books, games and craft supplies filled shelves that lined the walls. Downstairs were brightly colored classrooms where learning continues long after school hours and a lunch hall where children receive meals each day. As we toured, giggling faces kept popping up in the windows followed by the patter of little feet racing around the halls. So I went out and met the children, soon snatching up crayons to join the evenings artistic activities. Finally the bus came to take them all home, so we said our goodbyes as they raced out the door covered in smiles.

Thank you to Pastor Holly Nye and Program Director Rifat Filkins for showing me the wonderful work you are doing for the Albany area. I had already taken a liking to this church when my host's daughter, Rachel, explained that she started wearing mismatched socks after her church group chose to use it as a sign of diversity and acceptance. These children were treated with such respect, and I can see how their personalities are flourishing in this environment of acceptance and support. The program I saw tonight was such a gorgeous model of what a community can do for it's neighbors. Making an impact does not have to be a big money operation; it's all about the right skills, the right people, and the right passion coming together.

All my love to my new little friends! I will wink to you from the Miss America stage!

No comments: