Monday, November 14, 2011

Schreiber High School

Thank you to the students at Schreiber High School for spending the morning with me discussing bullying, drama and how we can make things change. I met with both the Gay Straight Alliance as well as a larger school assembly and both had plenty to contribute to our conversation. I even went through a mock-Miss America contest on the school's radio show, where I answered on-stage questions straight out of AP Euro books.

At one point in our conversation I discussed self acceptance and mentioned how I have become comfortable with several things about myself that I used to stress over. One of which was the fact that I am not a natural social butterfly. As I elaborated a girl next to me shot up her hand and said that she too was not super social, and that she was glad to hear the same about me. Hey, we all have something that we often will consider a shortcoming, but everyone is dealt the same number of bad cards in life. Sometimes you can't see where they are in a person, but we'd be foolish to assume anyone is walking around with a perfect hand. The leaders of the world are those who don't put energy into worrying about their bad cards and instead pay attention to learning the ways of their good cards. We all certainly have good cards. If you don't think so, then you don't know yourself well enough yet.

Help others by celebrating each other's good cards in life and learn to embrace the hand you were dealt. Great poker players can turn even the worst hand into a win.

No comments: