Monday, November 21, 2011

Meeting with Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings

After a long day at schools, my crew went downtown in the midst of Albany's breathtakingly historical buildings for a meeting with the big cheese of this city. I sat down with Albany Mayor Gerald Jennings to talk about my work to end bullying through leadership development in schools. Joining me was Albany H.S. teacher Ellen Mall-John, her husband and gorgeous daughter (my sidekick for the week,) Miss Empire Star Jennifer Pollard, Albany's Outstanding Teen Brittany Rose Egnot, and local director of the Miss Empire Rose/Empire Star competition Janet Murphy.

Jerry worked at Albany High School for 21 years. This is a man who has been known to stop and pick up students off the street to drive them to school. We talked about his perspective on the education system's development over the past years and where we felt there were still some major needs. He quickly jumped on board as I told him how Project Empower is working to prep students for life beyond the classroom and enrich them with the social and professional skills that enhance classroom learning. Jerry and I look forward to bringing Project Empower to schools in Albany, aiming to reduce bullying and social struggles through positive leadership training. Thank you to Mr. Jennings for taking the time to talk with us this afternoon! He's a hoot!

No comments: