Monday, November 21, 2011

Albany Tree Lightning Ceremony

During my meeting with Mayor Jennings, he turned and asked if I was free to come across town after and help him light up the city for the holidays. How could I say no? So we were off to take part in the Hannaford Capitol Holiday Lights Ceremony at Washington Park.


For the past 15 years, Hannaford Supermarkets has been filling the park with over 125 light displays and welcoming community members to drive through for some holiday cheer. Their ride brings them to the Washington Park Lake House where Santa and his friends will greet guests for refreshments, crafts and holiday wishes. All proceeds from this event go towards the Albany Police Athletic League, which creates juvenile prevention programs throughout the area.

A crowd gathered and Santa made a grand entrance on his sleigh. Two little helpers, Sarah and Lindsey, were on hand to assist Santa in pulling the lever. Living in NYC I'm always hearing about parades getting shut down or permits keeping people from celebrating in their area...while I know there is always a good reason, it saddens me anytime people are kept from coming together to celebrate. Tonight's community spirit reminded me of my hometown. At the end of the day we are still a tribal species, and there's nothing like the holidays to bring everyone together.


No comments: