Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Maria Fareri Children's Hospital

Today I was in Westchester to visit the Maria Fareri Children's Hospital at Westchester Medical Center, where I joined my darling "sister" Lauren Molella, New York's Outstanding Teen, to tour and spend the afternoon with patients! This hospital is the seventh of the Children's Miracle Network hospitals I have gotten to visit so far this year.

I entered the lobby and felt like I was in a Dr. Seuss book. Walls of fish tanks wound through and behind them sat a spread of couches all facing a beautiful stage whose ornate proscenium climbed high and towered over the room. A clock tower with a cheesing grin presided over the room from the corner.


As our guide for the day, Andy, walked us to the elevator we passed the largest doll house I had ever seen, made up of nearly a hundred little rooms decorated by donors. Beyond several walls of murals we found a lobby of nurses setting up ice cream dishes. Lauren and I joined for a sweet snack and chatted with patients and their family members. After that we went to visit patients in the different themed "neighborhoods".

At one point we passed through a hall covered in sports memorabilia where families stood tapping digital screens to watch videos and test their sports trivia skills. The visit felt a bit more like a trip to Disneyland than to a medical center, but I should not be surprised as that has become an apparent theme among CMN hospitals in New York. Not only do they provide top medical care, but the staff's commitment to the comfort of patients and their families is undeniable. This location was exceptional in the customized comforts we found around every corner, including busting playrooms and a high-tech teen room with XBox Live and webcam tables. We just couldn't help ourselves...we got caught up in the fun.


Thank you to Andy and all the staff at Maria Ferari Children's Hospital, as well as the patients and family members who came out to play! Lauren and I cannot wait to come back!

You can help me support this hospital. Help me raise funds for Children's Miracle Network to benefit our New York State hospitals, just like this one. Learn how!

No comments: