Monday, November 21, 2011

Albany High School

Greetings from Albany! I am in our state capitol for a few days and excited to start off my trip with a visit to Albany High School to speak with students about bullying.


I met with a large assembly as well as three periods of a more intimate "Lunch With a Leader." We talked about everything from drama and cyberbullying to self acceptance and how to generate personal opportunities in life. Self acceptance was one thing this student body knew rather well - majority of students sported some sort of personal flair such as brightly highlighted hair, sleek vests and skinny ties, or funky tank tops and purses. I knew I was in an environment of acceptance right off the bat.

Albany High School serves nearly 2,400 students. The school is broken into four academies, each with a specialized academic focus. They further offer courses in everything from fashion design to culinary arts. At one point I walked in to greet a debate class and found myself in a perfectly modeled court room. Students get to test drive different fields, explore new skills and show off their unique specialties and interests. In many schools I feel that students start the day waiting for it to end so they can get to dance class, soccer practice, their sketch book, etc. This school engages students in their passions throughout the day, therefore carrying over that energy into the rest of their academics. No wonder everyone felt so comfortable...everyone is celebrated around here! Each day, each student gets to remember what makes them great. Pretty solid way to reduce negativity, eh?


Thank you to all my new friends at Albany High School! It was incredible learning about all of your stories and I can't wait to keep in touch with many of you!!

No comments: