Monday, October 17, 2011

University of Rochester Transitions Program

I just finished a meeting with students at the University of Rochester Transitions Program. We were talking about how young adults can help children and teens handle the struggles of bullying, discussing our experiences as the first generation to grow up with the internet.

What we certainly agreed on today was that popular media seems to be promoting negative behavior. I won't say names, but I think we all know which shows are glamorizing drama and peer negativity. We acknowledged the fact that it is not entirely the networks' fault, as it is the viewers who give these shows the ratings that keep them on TV. In addition to asking networks to make more responsible programming choices, we decided that we can help by not tuning in to shows that highlight negative behavior.

I had a little extra help in this meeting. My brother Peter is a student at the Transitions program and welcomed me into his classroom, adding plenty of great insight into the conversation. I can't believe he's on a college campus, he's getting so big so fast!

No comments: