Monday, October 24, 2011

Teaching My Princess About Community Service


The Miss New York Organization has a program called the Star Princesses. Here is the concept: as a titleholder or in any position or success as a woman, there is somewhere a little set of eyes watching your every move. From the color of your toenails to the way you greet people, they take everything in. So turn around, give them your hand and welcome them to take the journey with you. Maddie started out this journey with me the day I started towards the Miss New York title. She helped me pick my dresses, walked me across stage, and will be cheering me on in Vegas come January. I watched Maddie grow up and am glad to have a chance to show her how "beauty" can be about much, much more than physical image.

Today I took Maddie to volunteer with me at the Pittsford PTSA Super Sale. We transformed my high school gymnasium into a shopping center for their annual fundraiser, where community member donate gently used goods that are sold to raise money for programs and enrichment for the district schools. Maddie is no stranger to doing good and felt right at home helping out. Ever the social butterfly, she had no trouble befriending the little girl who was helping her sort purses. I joined a class of middle school students and got to folding hundreds of $1 shirts.

I have been helping at Super Sale since I was Maddie's age. It was a great way to tag behind my mom and hide from having to socialize with other kids before theater rehearsal (I was intimidated by the athletes who chilled in the cafeteria after school.) Don't know if I ever would have expected to be back over a decade later as the women I am today. But, you can never guess where your story might take you.

From shirts and purses to dishes and scarves...job well done, my little Maddie. You make your queen proud!!

No comments: