Monday, October 17, 2011

New York Women in Administration Conference

Thank you to the New York State Association for Women in Administration committee for allowing me to have a booth at today's Finger Lake's area conference.

Today's theme was technology. I spoke briefly at the start of today's presentation to share information about my efforts to end cyberbullying including my online petition, partnership with Senator Jeff Klein's NY Cyberbully Census, partnership with Wired Safety and it's founder Parry Aftab, and my work as a spokesperson for the Teenangels program. I touched on how watching my sister lose a college degree because of bullying from a teacher lead me to want to partner with those educators who do value the importance of their role in a student's life. I aim to bring resources that will enhance the work they are doing to help students manage social skills both in the classroom and online.

Many educators fear technology because of the risks it can bring to the classroom, yet know that digital tools can play a key role in enhancing the educational experience for students. Today's conference covered all the latest tools and brought participants up to speed on how to manage technology within their school and classroom. It's exciting to see so many educators equipping themselves with the knowledge to best utilize these resources.

Thank you again to the organization and to all the teachers who spoke to me about working together. I look forward to bringing my work to your area!

No comments: