Sunday, October 16, 2011

Celebrity Judge for The Funniest Person in Rochester

Tonight I was invited to be a celebrity judge for The Comedy Club's "Funniest Person in Rochester" finals competition! From 98 contestants they have narrowed down to the top 8 who tonight will give us their best 8 minutes in hopes of becoming the champ.

I joined fellow judges Jamie Lissow (Comedy Central Presents, The Wease Show) and Law Tarrello (Broadway's Putnum County Spelling Bee). We felt very official in our little booth in the back, each nervously admitting that we were not sure what to expect tonight. After an evening of laughs and incredible talent the winner was revealed...

Congratuations Jarwan Nelson, the Funniest Person in Rochester!!! Your material was witty, fresh and your stage presence was undeniable! You did Rochester proud.


I have to give it up to the other contestants, also. The judges were sweating it in the back because everyone was so good. Best of luck to each of you as you have something incredible to share with audiences throughout Western New York and hopefully beyond.

Some of you may know that right before becoming Miss New York I was studying improv at Upright Citizens Brigade in New York. I'm sort of a nerd for it all and if I could make my career doing this I would (and might...) Tonight made me miss it. Two things I carry with me every day from my classes at UCB: 1) Your job is to make your scene partner look good and 2) don't think. It's amazing what these two performance techniques can do to your life.

But I digress.

Thank you to host Chet Wild and The Comedy Club, as well as to the packed audience that brought so many laughs!!

No comments: