Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Gracie Mansion for Columbus Day Reception



Always a pleasure to bump elbows with some of New York's finest Italians, and Mayor Bloomberg let me do just that when I attended the Italian Heritage Reception at Gracie Mansion. Joining other fine Italian Americans, we enjoyed treats from some of the cities best Italian eateries and honored the impact that Italians have made on the New York City area.

I'm incredibly impressed with the amount of energy this city puts into Columbus Day festivities; particularly their focus on Italian heritage. As a young person in today's society I think I often take our nation's diversity for granted. We are lucky. Lots of people worked hard to make this place for us in America. When we hold cultural prejudice against a group or culture, we are denying ourselves the opportunity to explore and learn from their world. What is different is not always bad. Whether it is where you are from or how you dress in school...difference is what colors our world. I am so proud of the work my Italian predecessors have done to enrich this nation, and thrilled to celebrate that in one of the most diverse cities in the world! Just hop on any given subway car and you will see proof!

Thank you to Mayor Boomberg, his staff, and all those who came out to show support. I'm excited to continue the party this week at the 67th Annual NYC Columbus Day Parade!!

No comments: