Friday, October 21, 2011

Keynote Speaker at Beauty Queens Forever Foundation Launch Gala


Several weeks ago, a foundation reached out and asked me to be keynote speaker for their black tie launch event in New Jersey. Tonight I joined members and supporters - from as far away as Ecuador - to deliver the keynote address at the Beauty Queens Forever Foundation Launch Gala.

Beauty Queens Forever is an international foundation that provides support and community development programs as well as global economic resources for Latin-American communities and businesses. The name was selected based on the organizations esteem for the commitment of Beauty Queens world-wide to social and community service. They hope to provide a place for former title holders to continue involvement in supporting communities on an international level.

I joined several esteemed presenters and had the honor of signing the foundations book to mark my support and participation in tonight's launch event.

In the first letter I ever received from Beauty Queens Forever, they state that their vision was of, "a world where each person has a sense of worth; accepts responsibility for self, family, community; has the capacity to be productive; and healthy communities."

During my studies on bullying I have become a fan of a certain behavioral development model known as the Circle of Courage. Based on tribal techniques of child rearing that utilize minimal punishment, the theory highlights four fundamental aspects of developing a healthy child. While I could gladly author a dissertation on this subject, I will summarize them as follows:

- Generosity, as in the ability to help others and therefore create a sense of self worthiness through the ability to influence lives. The BQF Foundation hits this with their idea of "sense of self worth."

- Independence, as in the ability to generate inner discipline by being provided individuals with guidelines but the freedom to make personal choices within them that develop a sense of freedom. The BQF Foundation hits this with the idea of "accepts responsibility for self, family and community."

- Mastery, as in the ability to make a meaningful contribution to society through skill or ability. The BQF Foundation hits this with the idea of "capacity to be productive."

- Belonging, as in the ability to feel part of a larger group through community energy and identity. The BQF Foundation hits this with the idea of "healthy community."

So, the way I see it, the goal of this foundation is to develop a model that, according to this theory, seems to provide all the elements for a self-sustaining and happy community. While they are still in the early stages as an organization, I see the potential for them to make a true impact. I discussed this in my keynote.

A special thank you to designer Jose Victoria who dressed me for the evening. Are you seeing the detail on this gorgeous gown? I love it, and he was far too fun to work with!

P.S. Funny story. I got ready in my room on the 15th floor and when we were all ready to go down, the elevator was not working. So guess who walked down 15 flights in an evening gown and heels? Oh yeah. I'm a machine.

No comments: