Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Monroe County Summit on Call to Action

We've done it, Rochester!  Remember when I met with Monroe County Executive Maggie Brooks earlier in the year?  She has walked the walk regarding her interest in taking on bullying.  I attended her press conference on her new County Executive Call To Action (CECTA) anti-bullying plan.

There are seven aspects to the Monroe County plan: A pledge, a network, monthly forums, peer-to-peer workshops, youth courts, a hotline and an annual Walk Against Bullying.  You can read the full plan to see the details!

I slipped in just as the program began, having taken a detour from my travels to stop by. My desperate efforts to locate a pen in my over-sized purse were halted at the sound of my title.  Maggie, now making her introduction, was telling the crowd that watching Miss New York present to students in Webster this fall was the first time she had heard students speak candidly about this issue.  She said it was then that she realized the true importance of this issue among our youth and began her work on the new program.  Several more times thoughout the night I heard my name mentioned.  This was not a formality, as I was not part of the panel or presentation, and there's really no need to explain the depth of the honor I felt to hear them crediting me as part of this.

In all my travels, this is the most comprehensive anti-bullying program I had ever seen. By coming at this issue from all community angles, Monroe County has built a recipe for anti-bullying success. I am truly impressed with the depth of this program.

There were two moments that touched me the most during the event.  First, the cry of students as they ask for "nothing about us without us" as a request to be respected as valuiable contributors in this process.  Then, a simple saying: Children are 30% of the population, 100% of the future.  Yeah...just let that one soak in.

To Maggie Brooks, I want to say thank you.  Inspiring true and effective action is exactly what I aimed to accomplish with my year.  Thank you for giving me a minute of your time all those months ago to bring a beauty queen into your office, and then truly hearing what I had to say.  You are honoring the voices of thousands of teens and children with this policy.  Thank you for taking real action.  Thank you for the respect you give to the next generation. That this is happening in my own home town is the greatest gift for which I could ever ask.

No comments: