Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grand Opera House Show for Miss America's Homecoming

Tonight was our final Miss America Homecoming Show held at the Grand Opera House in Oshkosh. We each gave our talents one last show, and each other one last hug, before drawing our Miss America experience to a close.


For my second song after Disneyland, I sang Thinking of You by Katy Perry. This is my love song to life before Miss New York. Before I was Miss New York I was no one. There's a natural care-free sense that comes with invisibility. As our worlds grow larger we can easily lose the relationship we hold with ourselves. The only minutes of my journey that I regret are those in which I felt I needed to be anything but myself. The song reminds me to never fall in love with any version of myself that is not the true me, and is my self apology for every moment when I let that slip away.


The girls performed beautifully. The mood was hardly sad, but rather one of celebration as we congratulated Laura and rejoiced in our newly found friendship. I'm not much for goodbyes. In fact, I rather loath them. So, here's what I shall leave:

To Laura: We are so thrilled to have been part of this with you. You won by being you, and will shine by being you. May the year ahead be filled with every opportunity you could ever want!

To Betty, Jennifer and Noelle: In theater we are taught that a character shall sing when words alone no longer express the heightened emotions they feel. They must communicate in sounds that seem to organize the unorganized energies they are experiencing. What I feel when I am with you is the very thing that inspires song. You three are my song. Our story is only beginning.

No comments: