Friday, December 2, 2011

Toys for Tots Annual Party


What started as a small gathering in the basement of churches has grown into one of New York's hottest parties of the year. This year, the 2,000 tickets sold out in under 13 minutes! Tonight I rocked the holiday spirit at Toys Party NYC, an annual event for Toys for Tots!

The thousands of guests attending tonight's event at Chelsea Pier were each required to donate one toy upon arrival. This simple concept has grown into one of the most impactful holiday efforts in the state, with a literal mountain of said toys greeted us at the door. Hosts Robby Brown, David Tufts and Chris Kann welcomed me for what I knew would be a fantastic night. Holiday cheer - and fashion - was thick in the air as I mixed and mingled with some of New York's finest.

Tonight will benefit SAGE and the toys will be distributed to over a half dozen organizations throughout New York City. At one point I had the privilege of stepping up to the mic to greet the guests and share my mission of ending bullying in America. Tonight, every participant helped in this effort. Acts of kindness can change someone's day, or even year. The children who receive these gifts will know that someone out there was thinking of them. It's this kind of holiday spirit that I hope to inspire all year round, but tonight was a stunning example of communities coming together for one another!


Thank you to all my new friends for a great night, and to everyone who made Toys Party such a success! Special thanks to Robbie, Chris and David for having me, and for all you do each year for the children and senior LGBT residents of New York City!

And good luck to poor Santa...he's got his work cut out for him delivering all 2,000 of these presents after tonight!

No comments: