Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rochester "Girls Coalition"

Thank you to the young ladies at Rochester Youth Bureau's "Girls Coalition" for having me at your holiday event today! I got to speak about bullying and my work to bring change, and got to meet young ladies who are making changes in their own lives every day.

The "Girls Coalition" program is an after-school place for young women across the city of Rochester to come and connect. The staff serve as mentors to help the girls navigate the world and begin to build strong futures for themselves. According to the girls, it is like having a second family; they share secrets, give each other advice, and support one another's lives. It is so vital that everyone have a place they can go where they feel connected and valued. Thank you to County Executive Maggie Brooks and the Monroe County Youth Bureau for letting me visit and for facilitating such a vital program for my home community!

No comments: