Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Honored by Queens Republican Party

What a surprise I got tonight when I responded to an email requesting me to attend a holiday party. Turns out I was there to be honored by the Queens Republican Party as their civil honoree!

Some of the party leaders had heard my story in local news. They had taken note of advocacy work as Miss New York against bullying, my support of our military through USO, and my work with disability awareness in honor of my siblings. Also honored at tonight's event was U.S. House Representative Bob Turner. I just don't know if I ever excepted to be honored alongside a federal representative in my early twenties.


Tonight's guests included Judicial candidates Kate Christoforatos, Robert Beltrani, Gabe Tapalaga, John Casey, Milton Flores and Joseph Kasper. Chairman for the New York Republican Party, Ed Cox, also joined, as did Council Member Dan Halloran and community members from across Queens. Keynote address was delivered by Rich Lowry (Editor, National Review) who after my speech told me that he too has siblings living with disabilities!


What made tonight so special to me was that it was not my political affiliations that earned me this award, but my work and service. We live in a time when political polarization is causing gridlock on vital and timely issues. I am so glad to know that there are still groups who, while standing strong in their political beliefs, give such impassioned support to individuals working to make the world better! Making our communities safer and stronger is something everyone can agree upon.

Thank you to Phil Ragusa and the Queens Republican Party for this esteemed honor. It is such a privilege to have your support in my continued efforts to improve and support our community!

No comments: