Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Board of Directors Good Luck Dinner

After a long day of wardrobe selection (yes, I finally have everything picked out,) my lovely board took me out for dinner for our official good-bye before Miss America. Over Italian goodness, we got to relax and take a look back at the year thus far.

Let me tell you...I cannot thank them enough. Last year's Miss New York said this year is like driving a car and that makes sense now. When I won the title this organization handed me the keys and told me to enjoy the ride. I was not placed in the back seat for a predetermined route. This was all about where I wanted to take this title. Of course it was scary; it's not like I've ever driven a car like this before. But, when I was petrified by fear they pushed me through. When I was overly ambitious they gave me nothing but thumbs up. They even stepped in at those moments when I was teetering on the brink of exhaustion and helped pull me back onto my feet (sometimes literally!). This entire year has been a beautiful whirlwind invented by my own desires. What makes them so amazing is that they are volunteers. I cannot thank them enough for the time, resources, skills and emotions they have offered to make my journey so strong.

When I look back at the last five months I am overjoyed: I've launching a petition that garnered over 3,000 signatures internationally. I'm on the forefront of anti-bullying legislation. I've launched state-wide cyberbullying initiatives with legislators. I formed my own legislative outreach team. I've partnered with anti-bullying organizations, Dignity For All Students Act, Monroe County Youth Department, professional sports teams and youth programs across the state. I've given keynote addresses at top Universities. I've spoken to students across the state. I've visited nearly every Children's Miracle Network hospital in NY and raised over $4,000 to support their work. I've walked on red carpets across Manhattan. I helped an Anti-Bullying Album get a Grammy nomination. I've supported charity causes throughout the state. I've become pen pals with dozens of students dealing with bullying. I even launched and became a leader for a global non-profit education model that is growing faster each day. The next six months are going to be even bigger and will happen regardless of whether I become Miss America. And it all began as a broke 22 year old girl looking for a chance to show my stuff. Hey...everyone's a no one until they become someone. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to the Miss New York Organization!! I am in love with you all, you do incredible things for women in this state!!!!!

No comments: