Monday, August 1, 2011

Speaker at NYU

Today I had the honor of being a distinguished guest speaker at New York University for the Women's Communication course. I was asked to come in and discuss my experience with pageants, beauty, and intellect as they relate to successful women in modern culture.

This was my first time on the other side of a classroom, and I could tell that my audience was not sure how to react to a "beauty queen." I suspected as much, and dove right into talking about my background, my work under the title, and the academic support I have received through the Miss America Organization. They quickly warmed up, and over the course of almost three hours I answered questions ranging from, "why butt glue?" to, "how does one profit from something that appears to require so many expenses?" I shared my most candid thoughts, insights, and experiences. We topped things off with a practice round of on-stage questions. As nervous as they were, they nailed them!

I had a wonderful time and enjoyed the opportunity to speak honestly about what I have seen and learned in this program. Apparently the students enjoyed it too, as I have been told I was the highest rated presenter for the course and was asked to return in the Fall! I think it's amazing that the NYU students and staff are so interested in learning about and discussing the Miss America Organization, and am so honored to facilitate that converstation.

Thank you to the students for allowing me to talk about my organization, and to Professor George Elian for inviting me into your classroom!

No comments: