Saturday, August 13, 2011

Samaritan Medical Center of Watertown

For the fourth and final Children's Miracle Network Hospital visit for the week, I went north to Watertown to visit the Samaritan Medical Center. We are only an hour's drive from Clarkson University where I spent my freshman year. Time to represent, let's go Tech!

Samaritan Health Center's CMN Director, Jocelyn, started me out with a quick visit to the ER. The ER? Yes, I learned that Children's Miracle Network recently gave $1 million toward upgrades to this unit. Time to see our dollars in action. They gave me a peek around, and then a little guy waiting with his father got a big surprise when we popped in to say hello!

We met up with fellow titleholder and star of the weekend (you will find out why in my next post) Miss Thousand Islands 2011, Morgan Bocciolat! Besides placing top 11 at this summer's competition and winning New York's Favorite Contestant, Morgan has been highly involved with Samaritan Medical Center all throughout her year. Greeting Jocelyn like an old friend, Morgan joined as we continued to tour the hospital.

Now, this post may feel a bit brief, and here is why. When we finally arrived in the pediatric unit, the nurses apologized with a smile. "We are sorry, but we have no patients for you to see." By George, all the children in the Northern area are in good shape today. A blessing for the community, and a timely coincidence for my visit. He laughed as I spent some time with the unit's staff. A life-size Big Bird watched endearingly from the corner. We talked even more about Children's Miracle Network's involvement in improvements throughout this and other units in the hospital.


It appears that many of the renovations and upgrades this hospital required to stay current and effective were supported in some part by CMN dollars. The plaque outside of the renovated ER listed the local organizations who gave to CMN, the list ranging from Watertown business to nearby fraternities. Groups of all types can use this organization as a way to directly improve their community. That is a powerful tool to provide and why we are so lucky to have CMN Hospitals throughout New York.

Thank you to Jocelyn for taking the time to tour me around, as well as her staff, my new buddy in ER, and Miss Thousand Islands 2011! Looks like I will be back soon!!

You can help me support this hospital. Help me raise $1000 for Children's Miracle Network to benefit their New York State hospitals, just like this one. Learn how here!

No comments: