Monday, August 15, 2011

Miss Thousand Islands Pageant

The first of the 2012 Miss New York season, the Miss Thousand Islands pageant crowned it's 2012 titleholder this weekend at the Clayton Opera House along the St. Lawrence River. Who? Nice try, but you know I'm going to make you read for it.

I was welcomed to Clayton by the warm embrace of Director Shelby Cohen and her board members! They welcomed me into rehearsal where I met the contestants and their supporters, eventually hopping onstage to help with walk patterns. While working I noticed that something felt funny. My pondering face triggered the quick response from Shelby, "It's a classic opera house. The stage is raked." Now there is a twist in the pageant game that I have never seen before. Don't worry, the rake was no match for our swimsuit-ready quads. Major props to the dancers on this one!

After another day of rehearsals and two waterside meals overlooking the Canadian border, it was game time. I have to comment on how wonderful Shelby is with the contestants. All day she offered help, taught tricks, and gave the contestants whatever support she could. Her energy is absolutely viral. While the girls got ready backstage, I went out to greet the audience. Friends and family poured in along with a surprising number of guests not affiliated with a contestant. The Clayton community has developed a love for this pageant and interest in following along each year. Everyone understood the value of what would happen tonight.

Light's went down, the music began, and before we knew it...ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to introduce you to your new Miss Thousand Islands 2012,
Allison Carlos!

As Allison took her first step forward in sash and crown, my eyes welled up. My journey began in a moment like this and what a privilege it will be to stand beside so many women as they go through this experience. I refer not just to Allison. I did not make it here on my first shot. In fact, I had never had an interest in going to Miss America when I first got involved. I was a first runner up at a local pageant at 18 years old, proud as can be to have been recognized and to come so close to representing my area. That one dip into the system rippled into my life for years to come, leading me here today. It's an old actor's adage: You never know who is in the audience. More than that, you never know what you will discover about yourself in this process.

Congratulations to Allison on her exciting year ahead!! Congratulations also to the contestants for representing themselves so beautifully all weekend long. It was a pleasure to meet each of you and hope to follow you on your future journeys. Thank you to the Miss Thousand Islands Organization for letting me be part of this event and to the entire community for showing such substantial support! Each of you play a part in the opportunities we can provide for young women throughout this state.

Keep up with Allison on the Official Miss Thousand Island Facebook Page!

No comments: