Monday, October 10, 2011

NYC 67th Annual Columbus Day Parade


In the ultimate showcase of Italian American pride, I hopped on a Ferrari and rode in the New York City Columbus Day Parade. Thousands of New Yorkers lined Fifth Avenue to watch one of the largest Italian Heritage events in the nation.

What can I say except that this was like a scene from a dream. Crowds screamed as if they they had known me for years! At one point, I looked to my right and saw an Italian woman squealing with joy. It was my neighbor, Mrs. DiMaggio. She owns the building next door and has seen me in everything from sweats and no makeup to my Sunday best. Always she will say, "Oh, the model! So gorgeous!" There she was on the sidelines, smacking everyone around her to look as she pointed with the biggest smile across her face!! Had my car not moved onward I might have jumped right out to hug her!

At one point the parade stopped for a minute and a little girl next to my car said, "Oh! Are you a real princess?" Of course I said yes, and we started talking. I turned to wave to a group across the street when I heard, "I LOVE YOU MISS AMERICA! I LOVE YOU!" I turned back and saw my little friend with her arms stretched out to me. Talk about a mental picture to last a lifetime. The car took off but not before I asked where she was from and found out she lives 3 blocks from me! I hope I find her someday on my walk to the train!! If she ever happens to read this: I love you, too!!

Funniest story came at the end of the parade. My purse had gotten into the trunk of another car and disappeared over the course of the day along with my director, Linda. Yes, this means I was cell phone-less for the day (I know, seems impossible in this era!) We got to the end of the route and the head of the Columbus Citizens Foundation told me to come with him to his club. I stopped him and asked that I find my purse and director before going anywhere. He didn't seem to know where to send me, but a police officer offered to take me to, "where the food is," which is all I remember her saying about where she would be. Long story short: it took us over 30 minutes to walk three blocks because every two feet I stopped to snap a picture with guests. He asked, "How do you handle this? Do you ever say no?" My answer: no, I would never tell a New Yorker that Miss New York cannot take a picture with them. I did tell him that he was welcome to pull a 'bodyguard' which he eventually did. So there I was getting rushed through the crowd by an NYPD Officer just like a scene from a movie.

The whole day was cinematic; from the colorful parade participants to the cheers of the onlookers. It was an honor to participate and I thank every single New Yorker and visitor who came out to celebrate!!

No comments: