Saturday, October 15, 2011

Art of Fashion Runway Show for H20 Couture

Today I got to hit the runway for Rochester Fashion Week donning styles from local Rochester designer H2O Couture and Jewelry by Cornell's Jewelers. The show was held at the Memorial Art Gallery and is the second to last event for this week long celebration of local designers.

Designers for tonight's event included Nereida Vazquez, Blyyn Nelson, Panache Vintage, H20 Couture, Eye Openers of Brighton, Lucky Nahum, Chic Feet, B.Unique, Lulu Lemon High Yen Yogawear, 2Lovely, Virginia Testa-Jeffery, Suzanne's Distinctive Fashion, and Marleen Van Aardt.

Salon Brio in the Pittsford Village - where I have spent many an afternoon roaming with my friends and eating Pontillo's pizza (the best in New York, and that's coming from now city girl) - did hair and makeup for today's models. A sneaky camera team from channel 13 caught me in the act of beautification.


After pinching and painting and teasing and spraying, the show began and before I knew it I was done. Amazing how much work goes into those 30 seconds that we are out there. The sold-out crowd was dressed to the nines and loved every minute. I love seeing people dress up to attend events in the arts. Broadway has seen an increase in jeans-and-tees audience members and it makes me sad. Why not insist on a little glamour in our lives? Not only does it show respect for the artists, but yo...it's fun. Best of all was that all my girlfriends modeled in the show. It was like I went back in time. I felt 15 again.


I'm so proud to see Rochester not only highlighting local talent but also celebrate art and expression as an important aspect of culture and community. Everyone needs expression, whether by producing it or experiencing it. With so many schools cutting arts programs and theaters closing around the country, I'm glad to see that art is a priority in Rochester.

Thank you to all of tonight's designers, models and patrons for making this show such a success! A special thanks to H20 Couture, Cornell's Jewelers, Salon Brio and the hair/makeup team!!

No comments: