Wednesday, February 15, 2012

York Central School

Great afternoon at York Central School talking about bullying and taking control of your own life!

This afternoon I focused on how life is a story and we are our own autobiographer. There are no such things as bullies, because bullying is a choice. When you bully someone you are putting pen to paper in the story of your life and writing "this is the choice I am making." We all have the power to write a better choice. That goes for almost anything. Great example: I don't roll out of bed looking photo ready (believe me.) I get up early every day to get my hair, outfit and makeup in check before going out into the world. Big reason for that is knowing how much I don't want someone to say "ew, that's Miss New York?" I write my own cure to my daily fear, and it's well worth the half hour of sleep I lose. I did the same thing in college. I always dressed nice for class because I liked the way people - particularly professors - treated me when I did. So each morning when I put my pen to the paper and start the story of my day, I take ownership of the fact that I have the power to write much of my story. Girls, it's amazing what happens when you write in a pair of heels. Fellas, unbelievable what happens when you write in a blazer for your day. Often when we are tempted to blame the world for our problems, I think it is important to look back and see what we had control over. Learn from your writings just as you do in school. Draft tomorrow's chapter just as a good author would; whether that means setting the alarm early or starting to work on your grades so you can get into a better school and ultimately get a better job so you can support your family down the road. Think of the chapters you could write!

To me, Miss America is the woman who maximizes every line of her life's story. We all don't need crowns to do that. Also, no one is going to write your story for you. Don't let anyone judge your story, and don't blame anyone for aspects of your story where you had control of the pen. If you bully someone, you made that choice. Next time write a better line.

No comments: