Thursday, February 2, 2012

Case Middle School


Thank you to students at Case Middle School for a great conversation today about bullying!

This visit had a particularly special moment: I had talked to students about the many things I am doing to help this issue, particularly my work with Senator Klein on the cyberbullying laws. After the presentation I was greeting students and signing quick autographs when a young lady walked up to me. I turned to her and was struck right away by the way she was looking at me. She had my full attention. After introducing herself she calmy said, "I want to thank you. I was friends with Jamey." Without thinking I threw my arms around her. "You don't have to be doing this, but it means so much that someone is doing something," she said, tears welling in her eyes. I started to cry. She told me she was afraid everyone had forgotten. I assured her that there are people giving everything they have to make sure that never is the case. We hugged again and I gave her my information. It took a minute before I even realized there were other students in the room. My entire year of work just proved its worth in those moments. That she was comforted by my efforts made every minute worthwhile. I only pray that I can accomplish even more in the coming months in order to give this young woman, and every individual effected by the lethal nature of bullying, the assurance that the one they lost will never be forgotten.

No comments: