Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Miss New York Orientation

The past week has been a rush! But here is my debriefing of Miss New York Orientation last weekend.

Orientation was held at the St. George Theater where the Miss New York pageant will take place this summer. This place was as visually beautiful as a Crumbs cupcake is delicious (not that I will ever know again, stinkin' gluten!) Ornate detailing climbed up the walls and drenched the ceiling. It is dripping in glamour, perfect for Miss New York!

The first part of orientation was a talent showcase. Each contestant performed their talents for a guest panel of judges, who then gave us tips, ideas, and advice to strengthen our game. I sang Don't Rain on My Parade again, knowing that it was probably not the song I will be singing this summer. They were still able to give me some great ideas of how to go about finding a song for my voice and style. It was great to watch the other girls perform; I believe watching someone on stage is a great way to learn more about them. The consensus: these are some incredible girls!

After lunch and a group picture (taken by Miss New York herself, Claire Buffie,) we sat down for our meeting to learn all about what is ahead. Staten Island has opened their arms to the Miss New York organization and will be hosting us at tons of exciting events throughout pageant week. The one I am most excited for has got to be the Mr. New York pageant. All the contestants are invited to bring a young man to compete for the title of Mr. New York. They will do all the same phases of competition as we do in our pageant.

Yes, that means the hunt is on for a Mr. Southern New York!!!!! Could it be you?

I must say, the Miss New York Organization is full of the most supportive and friendly people I have ever met. Each person made me, and all the girls, feel not only welcome but also like a true winner. I am so pleased to be taking part in and supporting such a wonderful program of incredible people!

The contestants had an opportunity to spend one-on-one time with Claire Buffie to talk about the job of Miss New York. Claire shared tons of helpful info, but the moment that became the highlight of orientation for me was when she talked about how she did at the Miss America pageant. With tears in her eyes, Claire told us how she is so proud of herself, and feels she truly accomplished something great with what she said on stage. I can't agree more, she stood for something bold, risky, but in which she passionately believed. She has made a huge impact on the GLBT community on a national level, and will be remembered for that. Claire's work is what inspired me to compete this year, and I am so glad to see how happy her year has made her. She did everything you could ask of a title holder, and she did it big. She is my Miss America.

Ok folks, then things got hard core. And by hard core, I mean so fast and fabulous that you will be left drooling for more. I'm talking about that opening number choreography! I don't want to spoil anything for you, but you are going to be overwhelmed with gorgeous hotness in every sense. Kent is a gifted choreographer and sure knows how to make a girl look smokin'! I could probably do the first 32 counts of this opening number once a day and end up swimsuit ready by summer. You are going to love it!

I am sorry that I don't have any pictures to share with you. The day flew by so fast that I didn't even have a moment to eat or drink (yup, went the whole day without a drop of water! Bad girl!) Just trust me that the theater is gorgeous, the girls are even more gorgeous, and the pageant is going to be wonderful.

Only 61 days left. Tickets are available mid April so watch the Miss New York website!

No comments: