Sunday, August 7, 2011

Staten Island's 350th Birthday

This year marks the 350th birthday of New York City's largest borough, and I joined Borough President James Molinaro for the first annual St. George Waterfront Festival! Rows of vendors from across Staten Island lined the St. George Esplanade for a day of events and live music in celebration.


I had the pleasure of getting to appear with fellow title holder, former Miss America's Outstanding Teen and Staten Island native Maria DeSantes, Miss Staten Island 2011! I haven't seen her since competition week and let me tell you, she looked amazing. We spent the afternoon meeting chatting with visitors and snapping pictures as musical acts filled the atmosphere with sound. Mr. Molinaro took us to see the stars of the event (no pun intended), the Macy's Balloons! This is the first time that they have been brought out for the public outside of their use in the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Undeniably the celebrity hit of the day.

The highlight for me was the pizza eating contest. No, I did not enter, but only because of my gluten allergy. In my pre-allergy days I could have smoked the competition. We joined onstage as three contestants in the men and women's division scarfed down as much Carmelo's Pizza in four minutes as possible. Did I mention that the pizza was made in a portable brick oven? Carmelo's is completely portable. The winner of the men's division stuffed the whole hot, juicy pie down with ease. The women's champion finished not far behind. Mr. Molinaro was such a ham as host. Stomach aches ensued.

I love human connection and any event that creates an opportunity for people to come together. Staten Island does that so well. It was a pleasure to get closer with the community where the Miss New York Pageant now calls home. Thank you to Mr. Molinaro for letting us join you for this festive day, to Miss Staten Island for being my date, and to all the community members and visitors who made today such a beautiful celebration!!

No comments: