Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Meeting with YAI

Remember this summer when you all helped me take part in the Central Park Challenge? They were one of the first organizations I supported with my local title.

Today I sat back down with the team at YAI to talk about opportunities for the coming year. I won't spoil the surprises, but will say that I am absolutely thrilled that YAI will be part of my coming year!! This partnership is in honor of my brother, Peter, and sister, Virginia.

For those of you who don't know, YAI is a network of programs and services for people living with autism. YAI covers the entire range of needs, offering everything from job training to medical services and kindergarten. There are two things I love about them. First, that they are easing the burden that a disability may have on a person and family by providing such expansive support. My mother had to work hard to find the right programs for my brother because Rochester does not have a network like this. NYC is incredibly fortunate to have one place with all the answers. Second, YAI helps our neighbors who live with disabilities to become productive, confident members of our communities. By helping to find and develop skills and abilities, these individuals are going from a world of "can't" to a place of "can." What an empowering transition (one we are working on with my brother.)

Check out more on YAI at their website. I can't say it enough: I am absolutely thrilled to be working with them this year!!!

No comments: