Sunday, September 25, 2011

Howard Beach Columbus Day Parade

This afternoon I helped kick off this week's Columbus Day festivities by participating in the Howard Beach Columbus Day Parade. The parade is among the largest in the New York City, featuring three hours of floats and musical entertainment - including a main stage musical number by yours truly!

Yes, Sicilian blood surges through my veins. I may have a splash of Polish in there, but the Italian side was most present in my upbringing. That means lots of food and lots of family. I grew up in what my friends like to call the Everbody-Loves-Raymond style: Grandparents lived on the same street. Family always came first and we were best friends above all else. I learned to appreciate the concept of family for the support structure it offers, and its ability to teach respect and how to overcome differences.

So naturally I felt right at home chatting with the crowd while stuffing down sausages and homemade cheesecake (what? swimsuit competition in four months?)


A three hour parade takes serious work to organize, yet members of the community gladly volunteer to make it happen year after year. I have such respect for any neighborhood that puts forth this kind of effort to maintain community-building traditions. Sometimes I worry that modern culture is turning so drastically towards individualism that we risk losing the things that keep us connected. As I stood among the packed sidewalks I was warmly reminded that human connection is still entirely alive and incredibly valued. It may have been about Christopher Columbus, but was truly about celebrating the neighborhood's commitment to maintaining a unique and colorful culture.

Oh and guess who else was there! My beautiful USO sisters! Kirbi, Heidi and Melissa!


Thank you to Howard Beach for letting me join you today! Thanks to all the volunteers and supporters who make this parade such a beautiful part of New York's Italian culture!

No comments: