Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Children of The City Gala

Tonight was my first glamorous night on the town. I was a celebrity guest to the Children Of The City Annual Gala held at the Chelsea Pier.
The event is an annual fundraiser for Children Of The City, an organization that helps children in Brooklyn dealing with poverty. They provide education and outreach to guide local youth, serving the community for 30 years. I spent a good part of the evening on the dance floor with several young ladies involved in the program.

I had the privilege of presenting the evenings honoree, Vickie Del Toro . I fell in love with this woman the minute I walked in the door, before I even knew she was the honoree! Her beautiful spirit was clear from the smiles and laughs she brought to everyone around her. Her passion for Children Of The City has been paramount in its successes this year.

I joined ranks with follow guests Doctor Ruth (Pretty surreal to meet her, she is so lively and took me by the hand around the room to meet her friends,) NY Senator Marty Golden, Superbowl XLII Champion David Tyree, Olympic boxing champ Eric Kelly, Victorias Secret model Selita Ebanks, Nip Tuck star Dylan Walsh, Mad Men actor Bryan Batt, Lights Out star Holt McCallany and Anthony Mackie of The Hurt Locker. A seriously star studded evening!
So during the live auction, I got so excited to help raise money that at the last minute I offered to donate an evening of my time for dinner with the highest bidder. A battle ensued, with the win going to none other than our honoree's son! That was another $700 for Children Of The City! Plus the winner, Peter, and I are huge food junkies so everybody won!!

The beauty of this organization is that although children do not get to pick what they are born into, they do get to pick their future. That is what our country is based on, it's the "American Dream" right? Children Of The City is facilitating dreams every day.

Thank you so much to Children Of The City for letting me join you to celebrate and support your beautiful organization!

Check out full photo coverage of this event.

No comments: